Saturday, December 12, 2009

Tough Year


I realize I have not posted anything in 10 months but 2009 has been a dreadful year. How else can I describe week after week of agonizing results? The ridiculous levels of frustration and anger I have endured this year have me searching for a new past-time. Like so many I turn to sports as a distraction from the stressful and/or the mundane but my passionate support leads to heartache and sleepless nights.
I am a loyal fan of three teams: The Mets, Knicks and Giants. I care deeply, if not illogically, about my teams. I experience actual joy when they win big games but I also hate, absolutely abhor, certain teams and players. I despise all things Philadelphia, the Cowboys, the Lakers, the Yankees and anything that has to with Jordan, Arod, Ray Lewis, Kobe, Jeter…honestly; it is an ever expanding list. 2009 may have been the worst year of my sports observing life.
The Giants lost a playoff game to the Eagles and the classless Donovan Mcnabb in January and have done little to ease the sting of that loss so far this season. The Knicks will not even try to be successful until next year and who could enjoy watching Kobe rape the NBA in June? The Mets, oh the Mets, experienced possibly the most disappointing season in team history and there are many years to chose from in a past filled with losing. Injuries ravaged what promised to be an underachieving team but at least that sparred me the heartache of another season ending collapse. The 09 Mets were dead long before the last day of the season.
Kobe Bryant winning a Shaq-less championship and being lauded as an all-time great was hideous to watch but nothing will compare to the revolting sight of a champagne soaked Arod holding the World Series Trophy. An image I only glimpsed for a second but is burned into my brain. I was so disturbed by this lying, cheating, fraud of a man being crowned a hero and champion that I avoided all media for 3 full weeks. It is still difficult to listen to the radio and hear Yankee fans babble on and on about their team or how great a GM Cashman is. I wonder how the other 29 general managers in baseball would do with another 75-125 million to spend?
With so many of my waking hours spent watching games, reading sports sections and websites, debating potential trades and future outcomes with friends and coworkers, how can I avoid these depressing emotions? How can I go on with my days completely consumed by bitterness and disappointment? The simple answer is: stop watching. Stop caring. I can no longer occupy my time with baseball, football and basketball. From this day on I will devote all of my passionate attention to Formula 1 racing. More specifically, I will embrace my heritage and pledge my allegiance to team Ferrari, whom many tell me are the Yankees of racing.

No comments:

Post a Comment